Giant Food Mobile App l Amazon Popularity l ‘Do Not Track’
Giant Food has launched a mobile app for iPhone and Android that includes the most recent coupon circulars and syncs to customer loyalty accounts, according to
the Washington Business Journal.
The app also lets users shop for home delivery and place their Peapod orders from their phones.
E-commerce & Multichannel Retailing
- The top-ranked retail-specific website in February 2011 in terms of unique US visitors was Amazon.com, which ranked seventh with about 71.4 million, according to data from Compete.
- Big advertisers, ad agencies and ad networks are working with internet-browser makers on a "do-not-track" system, a shift from the industry's previous skepticism about such a tool.
- Customers of Mr. Jim's Pizza, Inc., a regional pizza chain headquartered in Texas, can perform activities including ordering, finding stores, and obtaining coupons and nutritional data via a new iPhone app.
- According to a new mobile video report from The Nielsen Company, the number of U.S. mobile subscribers watching video on their mobile devices rose more than 40% year-over-year in both the third and fourth quarters of 2010, ending the year at nearly 25 million people.
Legal & Regulatory
- After closing more than 50 of its retail stores since the beginning of 2011, Harry & David filed a voluntary Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection petition in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Delaware on March 28.
- One of the frozen pizza products made by Completely Fresh Foods Inc. for Trader Joe’s, Trader Joe's Pizza al Pollo Asado, has been voluntarily recalled due to a labeling error.
- Tests of milk samples taken last week in Spokane, Wash., indicate the presence of radioactive iodine from the troubled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in Japan, but at levels far below those at which action would have to be taken, the Environmental Protection Agency said on Wednesday.
Store Openings & Closings
- Charming Shoppes plans to close about 240 stores this year, with more than half of them scheduled to be Fashion Bug locations and all 30 Catherines Plus Sizes outlet stores slated for closure.
- The Olive Garden restaurant chain will revamp more than 400 company restaurants across the US by 2013 into its Tuscan farmhouse design, a new model introduced in 2000.
- Big Y Foods has launched what it's calling a "revolutionary concept" in shopper loyalty, a discount/rewards card with a $20 annual fee.
Business & Finance
- US consumers face "serious" inflation in the months ahead for clothing, food and other products, the head of Wal-Mart's U.S. operations warned yesterday.