Urban Outfitters Mobile POS, eBay Free Listings, Gas Prices
Specialty apparel retailer Urban Outfitters is testing
mobile POS technology in its stores, according to RIS News.
Urban Outfitters been working with Starmount to develop a mobile POS solution since mid-2010, and the in-store pilots began late last year.
E-commerce & Multichannel Retailing
- eBay is making it free to list up to 50 items per month in auctions at any start price, and free to add the “Buy it Now” option to those listings.
- Social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter, and smartphone apps are changing the ways consumers interact with restaurants and fellow restaurant-goers, creating opportunities for foodservice operators and marketers, according to the survey “Social Media and Technology in the U.S. Foodservice Industry: Trends and Opportunities for an Emerging Market” from Packaged Facts.
Stats & Research
- Last week, fully 90% of the public said that they were hearing mostly bad news about gas prices.
- Apple Inc. may have sold more than half a million iPad 2 tablets on the device’s debut weekend.
- Burger King has opened its first restaurant in Slovenia in Ljubljana's commercial district BTC City.
Marketing & Advertising
- Just days after announcing his new bridal collection, Matthew Williamson has joined forces with Macy's as the latest high-profile designer for its Impulse capsule collection series, which has already tapped Kinder Aggugini and Karl Lagerfeld.
- An employee of New Media Strategies, an agency handling the Twitter account for the Chrysler brand that is aimed at consumers, was dismissed after posting a vulgar comment.
Environmental & ‘Green’
- Masuhiro Ogura, who runs his own rice store in downtown Tokyo, is telling shoppers not to buy from him until they run out.
Legal & Regulatory
- The National Council of Chain Restaurants has expressed deep disappointment regarding the introduction of legislation in Congress to halt debit card swipe fee reform.
- CampusBookRentals.com has transferred its business into a new 57,000-square-foot headquarters in Ogden, Utah.
- A group formed and run by New Balance’s chairman and former CEO intends to develop a 15-acre stretch of commercial property it recently purchased in Brighton adjacent to the shoe manufacturer’s headquarters along the Massachusetts Turnpike.