Raley’s Facebook App, Grandparent Consumer Niche, Home Depot Spring Black Friday
Raley's Supermarkets has introduced Family Table, a new Facebook app that provides a week's worth of meal ideas using sale items, according to
Family Table subscribers get breakfast, lunch and dinner recipe recommendations directly on their Facebook pages.
Stats & Research
- There are currently 69.6 million grandparents in the US, a figure expected to grow another 11% to roughly 76 million between now and 2015, according to new data from The Nielsen Company.
- The U.S. Census Bureau advance estimates [pdf] of U.S. retail and food services sales for January 2011, adjusted for seasonal variation and holiday and trading-day differences, but not for price changes, were $381.6 billion, an increase of 0.3% from the previous month, and 7.8% more than January 2010.
- Import cargo volume at the nation’s major retail container ports is expected to be up 11% in February compared to the same month last year and the first half of 2011 should be up 6% from the same period in 2010, according to the monthly Global Port Tracker report released by the National Retail Federation and Hackett Associates.
- According to Chad White, research director at Responsys and author of the Retail Email Blog, the top online retailers sent each of their subscribers 3.2 promotional emails on average during the week ending Feb. 11, 2011, which is up 12% week-over-week, up 13% from where it was four weeks ago, and up 19% year-over-year.
- The Deloitte Consumer Spending Index continued to decline in January 2011, hitting its lowest level since August 2009.
- Google Sites led the US explicit core search market in January 2011 with 65.6% of searches conducted.
Marketing & Advertising
- The Home Depot will hire more than 60,000 seasonal associates in time for the company's second annual Spring Black Friday event, which occurs different Fridays in spring in different regions of the US depending on climate and geography.
- Diane von Furstenberg has launched her first significant foray into home decor with an exclusive line for Bloomingdale's.
- The TJX Companies issued an RFP for digital public relations support across its Marshalls and TJ Maxx brands.
Business & Finance
- Already crossing into fast-casual territory in menu and pricing, McDonald’s in France is testing limited table service that could continue to move brand perceptions out of the “fast food” realm.
Promotions & Appointments
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. has appointed Cindy Davis executive vice president of Global Consumer Insights.