‘Daily Wrap:’ Promotional Email, Macy’s, Borders
The top online retailers sent each
of their subscribers three promotional emails on average during the week ending Jan. 28, 2011.
That’s up 3% week-over-week, down 6% from where it was four weeks ago, and up 18% year-over-year.
Store Openings & Closings
- Contemporary departments, called Impulse, will mushroom from the current 200 Macy’s doors to 220 this year, and up to 400 over time, giving the retailer a bigger market reach than any competitor.
- Walt Disney Co has said that it will open its first direct-sale store in China by mid-2012.
- Home Depot Inc. said Friday it closed its last Beijing store Jan. 21 and will focus on developing its China business in two other cities where growth is faster.
Business & Finance
- GE Capital has agreed to provide Borders with $550 million in new financing, although financing is partly contingent on publishers also providing financing and Borders says it will delay its January payments to vendors and landlords in a bid to conserve cash while it tries to restructure its debt.
Marketing & Advertising
- Football fever is descending on Dallas as the city prepares for the Super Bowl on February 6, and restaurants across the United States are gearing up to serve football lovers their favorite foods.
Stats & Research
- According to the National Retail Federation’s 2011 Valentine’s Day Consumer Intentions and Actions Survey, conducted by BIGresearch, the average person will shell out $116.21 on traditional Valentine’s Day merchandise this year, up 11 percent over last year’s $103.00. Total holiday spending is expected to reach $15.7 billion.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Speculation in technology circles that Yahoo might close or sell Flickr, its photo-sharing service, prompted an emphatic denial this month.
- Walmart has promoted former EVP of merchandising for US stores Duncan Mac Naughton to chief merchandising officer, US stores.
- Larry D. Stone, president and COO of Lowe’s since 2006, will retire on June 2, 2011, his 42nd anniversary with Lowe's.
- Sears Holdings Corp. has appointed retail veteran Chris Capuano, most recently EVP, GMM - Home and Footwear at Kohl's, as SVP and president -Home Fashions.
Charity & Non-Profit
- A man who built two restaurant empires turns his attention to a pay-what-you-can cafe.