‘Daily Wrap:’ JCPenney, Blockbuster, Online Coupons
JCPenney is the latest retail partner
for Outlier’s recently released mobile application, SWAGG.
Members of the JCP Rewards customer loyalty program will be able to view their account directly from their smartphone, as well as access their $10 monthly reward coupon.
Store Openings & Closings
- Blockbuster is planning to close 182 stores by early 2011, leaving the retailer with around 2,800 stores.
- Kroger-owned convenience chain Turkey Hill Minit Markets, which opened its first Indianapolis store in October 2010, is expanding into central Indiana with plans to add at least five more by the end of 2011.
Stats & Research
- November marked the official start of the holiday shopping season, sending Americans swarming to coupon and retail sites to take advantage of early deals and promotions. [pdf]
- While consumers cite a number of concerns that marketers and manufacturers will need to address before 3DTV gains widespread adoption, new research from The Nielsen Company shows that there is a sizable opportunity to attract the eyeballs and investment of some of the world’s most affluent TV households.
- It is easy to see that in general Barnes and Noble is getting almost double the web traffic as Borders, according to analysis from Compete.
- Real gross domestic product, the output of goods and services produced by labor and property located in the US, increased at an annual rate of 2.6% in the third quarter of 2010 (that is, from the second quarter to the third quarter), according to the third estimate released by the Bureau of Economic Analysis.
Marketing & Advertising
- Toys R Us stores nationwide will remain open for 88 consecutive hours beginning at 6 AM on Tuesday, December 21 and continuing through 10 PM on Christmas Eve.
- Rite Aid loyalty program members now account for 70% of front-end sales.
- Holiday commercials are often just as popular as Super Bowl commercials, and this year, retailers skipped the sentimental approach as seen in recent years, aiming instead for a comical and oftentimes, quirky approach.
Legal & Regulatory
- In late August, Ford issued a recall of 612,000 Windstar vans from the 1998-2003 model years in the United States and Canada, and in November the safety agency issued an unusual warning to Windstar owners: get rusty rear axles fixed quickly before they break.
Promotions & Appointments
- Sears Canada has promoted Sharon Driscoll, SVP of finance, to CFO.