Staples M-commerce, Wal-Mart Market, Whopper Lust
Staples is launching a new mobile Staples.com website.
The new mobile site features enhanced product ratings and reviews, one click to an optimized ink and toner finder, a Staples retail store locator with automatic GPS, store inventory lookup and enhanced on-site search, including an auto-suggest feature.
Store Openings & Closings
- Wal-Mart plans to accelerate the opening of its mid-sized Walmart Market stores, with 90 to 100 planned by January 2012 and 300 planned by 2013.
E-commerce & Multichannel Retailing
- Burger King has teamed up with DirecTV for the new Whopper Lust campaign, which offers a channel on which viewers can watch burgers spin and get rewarded with Whoppers.
- Multichannel customers are three times more valuable to Walgreen Co. than single-channel customers, said Sona Chawla, president of e-commerce at the company, at a conference this week.
- Best Buy Co. Ltd. is preparing to launch its CinemaNow video downloading service in Canada later this summer, according to a report by the Financial Post.
- Canadian Tire has launched an online resource for those looking for tips and help with small household jobs.
- Starbucks will expand its presence into Norway, opening the first Starbucks store at Oslo Airport early 2012.
Legal & Regulatory
- Avoiding a potential strike by 4,000 New York-area employees, negotiators from Macy’s and Local 1-S of the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union worked past a midnight deadline and reached an agreement just before 7 a.m. on a new five-year contract.
Stats & Research
- Import cargo volume at the nation’s major retail container ports is expected to remain at about the same levels as last year through July before starting to resume increases later this summer, according to the monthly Global Port Tracker report released today by the National Retail Federation and Hackett Associates.
- Domestic airfares during Q1 2011 have pushed past their pre-recession Q1 2008 levels and hotel rates are on the rise, according to American Express Global Business Travel data.
- The distracted shopper, who likes to begin the checkout process but doesn’t always complete the purchase, is number one among the 10 most common online shopper personality profiles, according to a list from Steelhouse.