Twitter Product Updates, Wendy’s Sells Arby’s, Williams-Sonoma Global Shipping
While those who follow a brand on Twitter and "Like" a brand on Facebook do so to learn about discounts and available free products to a similar degree, Compete analysis shows Twitter followers are much more likely to use the platform for "updates on future products."
Eighty percent of Twitter followers employ the social network for this purpose, compared to 64% of Facebook fans.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Wendy's/Arby's Group, Inc. has reached a definitive agreement for the sale of Arby's Restaurant Group, Inc. to a buyer formed by Roark Capital Group.
- Catalyst Health Solutions, Inc. has completed its acquisition of Walgreens' pharmacy benefit management (PBM) subsidiary, Walgreens Health Initiatives, Inc. (WHI).
E-commerce & Multichannel Retailing
- High-end home retailer Williams-Sonoma Inc. will offer international shipping for most of its brands to customers in 75 countries.
Legal & Regulatory
- Some 4,000 unionized workers at Macy's in New York City and Westchester County have authorized a strike if they cannot agree to a new contract by midnight Wednesday.
Business & Finance
- Amazon Publishing will publish 32 books in late summer and early fall under its various imprints, including AmazonEncore, AmazonCrossing and Thomas & Mercer.
Stats & Research
- Advance Census Bureau estimates of U.S. retail and food services sales for May 2011, adjusted for seasonal variation and holiday and trading-day differences, but not for price changes, were $387.1 billion, a decrease of 0.2% from the previous month, but 7.7% higher than May 2010.
- The Conference Board Employment Trends Index (ETI) declined for the second month in a row in May 2011 to 99.7, down from April’s revised figure of 100.1.
- Overall consumer sentiment remains in negative territory for the second consecutive month, according to the June 2011 Consumer Reports Index.
- More than three in five Americans (62%) have a pet, according to a May 2011 Harris Poll.