Tesco Mobile Pilot, Wal-Mart Small Stores, Target Canada Mediation
In what may be a first in retail IT, the UK-based Tesco chain chose the mobile platform it would experiment with based on a determination that it was the least secure, according to StorefrontBacktalk.
Tesco is piloting a Wi-Fi system that will map the closest routes between selected products in stores. Tesco wanted to do extensive beta testing with customers before offering the final version of the application, and Android’s more lax application security process made it the more desirable platform.
Store Openings & Closings
- Wal-Mart says it would introduce a small-store format, called Wal-Mart Express, aimed at rural and urban areas without nearby grocery stores.
- Target Corp. and a Canadian clothing retailer entered formal mediation in a dispute over whether the second-largest U.S. discount chain can use its name north of the border.
Legal & Regulatory
- Groupon Inc., the top online-coupon provider, filed to raise $750 million in an initial public offering.
- More than a year after its initial filing for a $175 million IPO, e-tailer Newegg disclosed it is withdrawing its planned offering.
- Sears Holdings has reached a license agreement with Dorcy International, which will allow Dorcy to sell Die Hard-branded alkaline/rechargeable batteries and flashlights to retailers in the U.S., Puerto Rico and the Caribbean.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private-equity firm Gores Group is in discussions to purchase more than half of Borders Group Inc.'s remaining stores out of bankruptcy, said people familiar with the matter, in a deal that would keep the bookstore chain operating as a going concern.
- Retrevo offers a flowchart to help consumers figure out what tablet computer they are most likely to buy.
- Ruby Tuesday has selected Monkey Media Software MonkeyCatering to enable end-to-end visibility and control over the company's catering business.
Stats & Research
- There has been a direct correlation between the rise in energy prices, and increases in commodity prices.
- Nonfarm payroll employment changed little (+54,000) in May 2011, and the unemployment rate [pdf] was essentially unchanged at 9.1%, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported.
Promotions & Appointments
- Staples Europe has appointed Amee Chande to managing director, UK retail & direct, and Andrew Gabriel to director of technology and services, European retail.