Mobile Retail Strategies, White Castle Online Ordering, Sunflower Market Apps
Ninety-one percent of retailers currently have a mobile strategy in place or in development, up from 74% a year ago, according to
“The State Of Retailing Online 2011: Marketing, Social, and Mobile” report conducted by Forrester Research Inc. for Shop.org.
In addition, 72% of retailers say they will increase their spending on social networks this year compared to last year.
E-commerce & Multichannel Retailing
- Fast food chain White Castle, which first tested an online ordering service in March 2011 in Minneapolis, has expanded it to all its restaurants.
- Colorado-based Sunflower Farmers Market plans to introduce an iPhone application and a Droid application to its redesigned website in the next couple of weeks.
Store Openings & Closings
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. plans to more than double its store count in Dallas, TX and open around 12 stores throughout the city, including more than three locations throughout southern Dallas.
- Amazon.com, Inc., will establish its eighth logistics base in east China's Jiangsu Province, local authorities said Monday
- Marriott Rewards, Marriott International’s guest loyalty program, and TrueBlue, JetBlue Airways’ customer loyalty program, are joining together to allow Marriott Rewards members to earn TrueBlue points for dollars spent at Marriott International hotels.
Legal & Regulatory
- Borders Group Inc. had losses totaling more than $50 million for February and March 2011 as it filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and began closing a third of its stores, according to papers filed with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Manhattan.
- As Target prepares to expand in Canada, it is battling in federal court there in an effort to gain exclusive rights to the use of the Target name.
Stats & Research
- Seven in ten Americans (70%) are willing to spend an average of 13% more with companies they believe provide excellent customer service, according to the American Express Global Customer Service Barometer.
- The Nielsen Company, which takes TV set ownership into account when it produces ratings, will tell television networks and advertisers today that 96.7% of American households now own sets, down from 98.9% previously.
- Gallup's Job Creation Index reached a new high of +13 in April 2011.
Promotions & Appointments
- Dish Network has appointed EVP of Commercial Services Michael Kelly as the new CEO of recently acquired Blockbuster.