Sears Store Skype, Bloomie’s Outlets, Apparel Size App
Sears Canada Inc. has introduced Skype technology in 10 of its trendy new fashion shops, allowing shoppers to get instant online feedback by modeling would-be purchases for friends or family on an in-store, 58-inch-wide screen, according to
the Toronto Globe & Mail..
Sears is rolling out other online capabilities, such as allowing customers to design their own furniture on the web, as well as looking at providing free in-store WiFi connections so shoppers can use their smartphones to check product and price information online.
Store Openings & Closings
- Macy's plans to open three new Bloomingdale's outlet stores this fall, which would bring the total of Bloomingdale's outlets to seven, as the first four opened last fall.
- A new mobile app, app, MySizeFinder, helps translate sizes between women’s apparel brands and aids online clothing shopping.
E-commerce & Multichannel Retailing
- Last week, four studios, Sony Pictures Entertainment, 20th Century Fox, Universal Pictures, and Warner Brothers, took the first step in their arrangement with DirecTV to release films two months after their theatrical release.
- Consumers are increasingly tapping into their networks of friends, fans, and followers to discover, discuss and purchase goods and services, in ever-more sophisticated ways.
- In its annual letter to shareholders, Netflix confirmed what everyone has suspected, that Dish Network’s effort to purchase Blockbuster out of bankruptcy protection is a direct aim at Netflix:
Stats & Research
- Less than half of Americans rate their current financial situations as "excellent" or "good" (42%), on par with the 10-year low Gallup measured last year.
- The average size of U.S. households has been declining for decades, but may have grown in recent years, at least in part because of an increase in multi-generational households.
- Visitation to most retail categories peaks in the evening hours, around 8-10PM.
- The number of data breaches skyrocketed 81.5% in 2010, to 760 from 141 in 2009, according to the 2011 Verizon Data Breach Investigation Report.
- The top online retailers sent each of their subscribers 3.3 promotional emails on average during the week ending Apr. 22, 2011, which is up 2% week-over-week, up 1% from where it was four weeks ago, and up 20% year-over-year, according to the Retail Email Blog.
Health & Wellness
- Weigh Forward, a medically supervised program for lifelong weight management, will be available on May 16 at 29 RediClinics inside H.E. Butt Grocery Co. stores in Texas.